Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Joe0813
Registered Member

survived our first power outage

well we survived our first outage and it wasn't easy. A lot of bad words were thrown out of my mouth. We lost power last night around 640pm. Attempted to start our new Troy bilt 7000 watt generator that we bought last year and never used.... FAIL for whatever reason the motor was dumping fuel into the oil and ran like a bag of crap. I tried draining all the oil out and replacing it with new oil but I think at that point the plug was already fowled. So we stayed up all night manually aerating the water with a bucket every 45 minutes. Unfortunately around here it was pretty cold and we had no heat. so we wrapped the tank in about 8 blankets and I found about 20 handwarmers stuffed them in Ziploc bags. tank only dropped down to 70 degrees. 530am rolled around and we went to lowes and bought ANOTHER generator. started it right up plugged in to the generator outlet and ran the tank, tv and some other things.
Definitely dodged a bullet with this generator

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 07:26 PM   #2
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
well we survived our first outage and it wasn't easy. A lot of bad words were thrown out of my mouth. We lost power last night around 640pm. Attempted to start our new Troy bilt 7000 watt generator that we bought last year and never used.... FAIL

!shriek! Glad y’all were able to get new gennie quickly. Can you send ‘FAIL’ one back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Joe0813
Registered Member

We are bringing it back on Monday. they will send it out and fix it "good as new" and then send it back to us. The broken generator has a push start which my wife can start. the new one we bought is only a pull start. Unfortunately for her it took quiet a bit of strength to pull start it. so we might keep them both and always have one as a backup incase this happens again

Unread 03/03/2018, 11:51 PM   #4
TrojanScott
Registered Member

I used to have a generator but it sat and sat so I sold it. I’ve never been without power for more than 10 hours, knock on wood. I have a few battery operated air stones. I suggest that everyone have at least that. You could have at least got some sleep. I’m buying a ups backup for a couple pumps soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Bent
I got nothin'

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 08:44 AM   #6
sde1500
Registered Member

I’ve lost power twice since October. 3 days then just now a day and a half. No generator yet but I do have an inverter that runs 100w off my car. Saved my skin both times. Not sure how big your tank is but mine is 65 gallons with 6 fish. I just wrap the tank and leave it all night. 8 hours no heater or air stone running and everything has survived just fine. Did that every day for 3 days. Run air and heat a couple hours in the morning, go to work, come home run it til 10pm, off for sleep. Repeat. Everything survived.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Joe0813
Registered Member

We have an 180 and lost power for about 26 hours. unfortunately didn't have a battery air pump. im going to order a few just in case. even if I tried to sleep it wasn't going to happen with all the horror stories ive read about tank crashes because of no power. 25k into this thing the second 900 dollar generator was definitely well worth it. Our forever home weve made a list of things that we will have on the house. Big walk out basement for atleast a 650-800 gallon tank, a fish room and a whole house generator

Unread 03/04/2018, 11:12 AM   #8
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

[apologies in advance for super rambling post]

This has been an education! Our house/neighborhood is ‘new’ for Nville, (only 30+ yrs old) and we’ve never lost power for more than a few hours. We don’t get anything besides tornadoes here.

I’m ordering battery powered air stones *today*, so anyone w reccs please chime in! Preferably Amazon available.

And, this also made us realize we’ve already sunk (pun intended) 10K + into this tank. In only 7 yrs!! scary

I think I may go back to church for the late Mass - ok, as I’m typing, the UPS just started screaming - is this a sign from above? Just a momentary blip, but y’all should hear the language coming from hub’s office/computer room! (Tank didn’t even pause, obvs it’s also connected to UPS)

Wait. Do we even need battery powered air stones *and* UPS?

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
Unread 03/05/2018, 08:16 AM   #9
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

So, fwiw, hubs the engineer has already explained that we don’t need battery powered air stones, since our fancy UPS is only running his computers & tank. Anyone who disagrees - I would like to hear from you.

Unread 03/05/2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Joe0813
Registered Member

You should probably make your own post so you'll get answers

Unread 03/05/2018, 12:36 PM   #11
avery155
Registered Member

Not a terrible idea to get a battery powered airstone, also if you have a gas stove, or grill heat rodi water up and double bag it then float in the tank. Opposite in summer just add ice cubes double bag and float in tank.

Either method have to keep and eye on the temp and give the tank a stir with a big soup spoon or a clean hand.

avery155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 12:41 PM   #12
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Thx! (yeah, I should have made my own post - got carried away) Super smart idea abt double bagged rodi - **keeper**.

Unread 03/05/2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery155 View Post
Not a terrible idea to get a battery powered airstone, also if you have a gas stove, or grill heat rodi water up and double bag it then float in the tank. Opposite in summer just add ice cubes double bag and float in tank.

Either method have to keep and eye on the temp and give the tank a stir with a big soup spoon or a clean hand.

Good idea with the grill, never thought of that

Unread 03/05/2018, 01:44 PM   #14
cch1321
Registered Member

Generators are a must in the winter in the NE. Didn't lose power at all last year and the generator sat under a tarp for 14 months. Lost power in this storm and probably saved the tank. Powered the whole house (including 1400w of heaters) (sans refrigeratorsll for about 12 hours and didn't even go though a whole tank of gas. 6250/8000w Is what I'm running.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef (Moving towards the SPS side of things)
cch1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 07:12 PM   #15
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch1321 View Post
Generators are a must in the winter in the NE. Didn't lose power at all last year and the generator sat under a tarp for 14 months. Lost power in this storm and probably saved the tank. Powered the whole house (including 1400w of heaters) (sans refrigeratorsll for about 12 hours and didn't even go though a whole tank of gas. 6250/8000w Is what I'm running.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
we are sending the troy bilt 7000w out wed to be fixed. And we are thinking about keeping the briggs and Stratton 6500w just incase anything happens we have a back up

Unread 03/06/2018, 07:41 AM   #16
cincyjim
Registered Member

We lost ours the first time for 30 hours and the second for 6 hours. Next to man's best friend is a generator!!! Lifesaver for the tank!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I bought a portable generator from Home Depot one January morning about 20 years ago and used it a couple dozen times. I have never had problems starting it, possibly for these reasons:

Honda engine, not B&S.

I use my lawnmower gas containers. It is either fresh or in winter I keep them filled and treat with Stabil.

When the power comes back on, don't just put the generator back in the shed. "Winterize" it, meaning drain the gas, fire it up to drain the lines and carb, then coat the cylinder with oil by removing the spark plug, squirting in some oil, and pulling the starter rope once or twice before putting the spark plug back.

I check the oil too - still clean from the original fill up.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 09:21 AM   #18
andrewkw
Registered Member

It's a good idea to test out your generator once a year or so and not let fuel / oil sit too long. I only moved to an area with unreliable power about a year and a half ago and have survived a couple of long power failures. The first was 30+ hours and the other was only a few hours.

One thing that really surprised me, and may surprise you if you have a just in case generator you never use is how much fuel they consume. My generator takes about 5 gallons of gas for 11hrs of use (7500watt). I got it going fine the first time but didn't realize just how often you need to refuel.

andrewkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 09:51 AM   #19
NCreefer73
Registered Member

The post made me think . Even tho I’ve got a generator I still need to prepare as tho I don’t have one . Thanks for the post
Ps. The hand warmer trick was brilliant have to get me some of those

NCreefer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 10:36 AM   #20
Joe0813
Registered Member

Was definitely shocked how much gas it went through. We actually just went out and bought more hand warmers just in case this happens again. We also bought a metal bowl and a few propane torches

Unread 03/07/2018, 11:01 PM   #21
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Does anyone have ideas for when you can't have a generator (apartment living, etc)? I see battery powered airstones. I can likely get ice cubes to float in summer from store (as freezer would be not working). Won't be able to get hot water to float in bags in winter though as oven/stove is electric. Any other ideas for those who live in an apartment and are not allowed to have a generator?

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 11:05 PM   #22
Kentech5
Registered Member

Maybe a few of those reusable hot packs, the bigger ones for shoulders. They can be boiled to reset them and might make a difference if the tank isn’t too big

Kentech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 06:36 PM   #23
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudburst2000 View Post
Does anyone have ideas for when you can't have a generator (apartment living, etc)? I see battery powered airstones. I can likely get ice cubes to float in summer from store (as freezer would be not working). Won't be able to get hot water to float in bags in winter though as oven/stove is electric. Any other ideas for those who live in an apartment and are not allowed to have a generator?
the camping propane torches and heat a metal bowl with water in it. should help a little if you really needed it to

Unread 02/25/2019, 03:14 PM   #24
NCreefer73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
the camping propane torches and heat a metal bowl with water in it. should help a little if you really needed it to

Use marine battery with power inverter

NCreefer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 04:11 PM   #25
herostar
Registered Member

I have a UPS power supply/battery that's meant for a computer hooked up to a pump in my tank for this exact reason. I bought one that runs my tunze pump for ~12 hours for about $125. If you watch for sales you can find a better deal on a bigger unit.

I highly recommend this for anyone with a tank, regardless of whether your power source is consistent or not.

Current Tank Info: 58g Oceanic (Est. 2007)
herostar is offline   Reply With Quote