Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Pat Niemeyer
Registered Member

Koralia pumps leaking 50v AC!

I see that this may have been reported before but I just realized that each of my Koralia 1400 pumps leaks 50v AC into the aquarium. I was alerted by a tingle when I brushed against the metal light fixture while touching the water.

I realize that it is a two prong device without a real ground - is there something I am supposed to be doing to prevent this? I tried reversing the plug to see if it mattered, but I still read 50v.

Both of mine are only a couple of years old but I'm wondering if this is some kind of failure that happens over time or if they were likely doing this when they were new? Has anyone had success reporting this to Koralia?

Not planning on using them again.

Pat Niemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2018, 10:37 AM   #2
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Are all your equipment plugged into GFCI receptacles?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 11:53 AM   #3
alton
Registered Member

AC Pumps will normally show some voltage on your meter, but when a single pump shows 50 volts, throw pump in trash

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 05:15 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. pump is trash.. Get a replacement immediately and do not put your hand into the tank until it has been replaced..
IMO anything over 1/3rd line voltage is a problem and indicates a faulty piece of equipment..

As stated you should also have GFCI protection for any line powered submerged equipment..

Unread 08/05/2018, 11:02 PM   #5
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Niemeyer View Post
I see that this may have been reported before but I just realized that each of my Koralia 1400 pumps leaks 50v AC into the aquarium. I was alerted by a tingle when I brushed against the metal light fixture while touching the water.
As others have said, get a GFCI on that circuit. But yeah... I stopped using Koralias years ago for this very reason. Sad to hear they still haven't figured out how to properly pot a powerhead.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Pat Niemeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_n View Post
As others have said, get a GFCI on that circuit. But yeah... I stopped using Koralias years ago for this very reason. Sad to hear they still haven't figured out how to properly pot a powerhead.
Thanks. I actually do have a GFCI on the circuit but I either it's faulty or I wasn't reaching the required amount of current to trip it. I plan to replace it to be safe.

Pat Niemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 01:34 AM   #7
doubleohwhat
Registered Member

How old is the GFCI and when was the last time it was tested? You'd be surprised how often the cheaper brands go bad. I've switched to these:
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...15-SGFH20.html

doubleohwhat is offline   Reply With Quote