Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Alex482455
Registered Member

Is this ok?

Hello,

I just got a seahorse couple days ago for my 40g tank. I have a tang and a foxface in there which i would say they are medium. I have a powerhead and a HOB marineland 350. Water current is strong in some spots but one side of the tank doesnt have any at all. So i wanted to know would he be ok in my tank or should i move him out. btw i do have few tall fake plants.
One more question, I order 8 oz of copepods to add to the tank. I would appreciate some pointers regarding how to add them.

Thanks,

Alex482455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 01:05 PM   #2
amazo
Registered Member

The seahorse probably won't last long in that tank,I'd get it out ASAP.Seahorses take alot of special care you should probaly take it back to the pet store until you can start a set-up for S.H. only and know how to care for them.

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Alex482455
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazo View Post
The seahorse probably won't last long in that tank,I'd get it out ASAP.Seahorses take alot of special care you should probaly take it back to the pet store until you can start a set-up for S.H. only and know how to care for them.
Im already planning to buy a new 10g tank set up for him since he is really small and set up a S.H only tank. Any advise on how to add the copepods?

Unread 11/01/2011, 01:18 PM   #4
EllieSuz
Premium Member

This is an instance where the cart is way in front of the horse. Please take your seahorses back until you have done some careful research on their care. Their survival depends on you learning everything you can about them.

Eileen

Current Tank Info: I'm out of the hobby, but used to have a60 gal. reef, refugium in sump, Internal Mag 9 return, SC 302 skimmer, two Maxi-Jet 1200's modded, four bulb T5 Lighting, Reefkeeper Lite Controller with three PC4's, Little Fishes GFO reactor.
EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 01:35 PM   #5
rogerrgr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex482455 View Post
Hello,

I just got a seahorse couple days ago for my 40g tank. I have a tang and a foxface in there which i would say they are medium. I have a powerhead and a HOB marineland 350. Water current is strong in some spots but one side of the tank doesnt have any at all. So i wanted to know would he be ok in my tank or should i move him out. btw i do have few tall fake plants.
One more question, I order 8 oz of copepods to add to the tank. I would appreciate some pointers regarding how to add them.

Thanks,
When I added copepods to my tank, I added them to the refugium. I acclimated them, turned off flow and dumped them in. If you don't have a refugium, wait until after tank lights are out, acclimate them, turn off flow and dump them in. Give them about 10 minutes to find somewhere to hide in the rocks and then you can turn back on flow...

Current Tank Info: 150g rimless aquarium, 55g sump, euroreef skimmer, 3 AI Vega colors, 2 Tunze 6105's, GFO GAC reactor, Neptune DOS dosing pumps, Mixed Reef
rogerrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Alex482455
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrgr View Post
When I added copepods to my tank, I added them to the refugium. I acclimated them, turned off flow and dumped them in. If you don't have a refugium, wait until after tank lights are out, acclimate them, turn off flow and dump them in. Give them about 10 minutes to find somewhere to hide in the rocks and then you can turn back on flow...
THANK YOU so much for the advise.

Unread 11/01/2011, 05:52 PM   #7
rayjay
Registered Member

I agree, take the seahorse back until you are better prepared.
Your 40g tank is not big enough for the tang and foxface but you've probably already been told that before.
Keeping a seahorse in a ten gallon tank can be challenging as well. Minimum recommended tank size for most hobby species is 29g for a pair with 15g extra for each additional pair.
I have a 20g with a male angustus that lost the female mate and I won't mix it with other species so it's on its own in the 20, and I still find it tight to keep the water clean enough to prevent bacterial infections.
If you never plan on adding another seahorse to the tank then at least get the 15g size please.
Also, please read the information found in the links at the bottom of the "seahorse keeping" page.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 06:07 PM   #8
dantdodge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex482455 View Post
Im already planning to buy a new 10g tank set up for him since he is really small and set up a S.H only tank. Any advise on how to add the copepods?
Hey Alex if you cant take him back and your 40g is cycled use that water for the ten gallon to get it started. Go to your local fish store and find some food that is live in the mean time get the pods started in the ten gallon. the fox and tang will out compete him for food any time you try to feed, so go with a tank just for the seahorse. Read in this forum tons of GOOD advise on keeping them in captivity. Good luck.

dantdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 05:47 AM   #9
amazo
Registered Member

Any idea what type of seahorse it is? You said it is small,if it is a dwarf then that poses other issues like having to hatch live food daily.Pods help but you will need another food source so it won't starve,and you have to make sure it gets enough food and the fish don't eat it all.

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote