Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2011, 10:34 AM   #1
mtc1966
Registered Member

looking for advice

So after 5days of no electricity in CT my 58g reef tank is basically toast . I do not plan on restocking corals and have decided to sell the 3 surviving fish .

I plan on moving my seahorses out of my 29 g and into my 58g tank ( see pics ) the few corals still alive are zoas and a couple lps nothing that i think will bother s/h but i have a maxi mini carpet i was wondering if he needs to go too? also look at my rock work should i remove some of the rock to make room for macros? the tank has a over flow to a 20 g sump with ato fed from container to left of stand.

I plan on removing 1 light strip and leave just one 4 bulb t5 unit in place.

as you see there are 3 koralias is that to much do i need to remove any or just angle them to the top of tank ?

oh i also just picked up a med cpr hob fuge that will be installed to.

one last ? how many erectus s/h can be put in a 58g tank with a 20gh sump and 2.5g hob fuge ?

your suggestions would be appreciated . would love to see pics of a similar sized setup if anyone has some.

[IMG]
From fish for sale
[/IMG]

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2011, 10:38 AM   #2
mtc1966
Registered Member

[IMG]
From fish for sale
[/IMG]

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Unread 11/07/2011, 03:57 PM   #3
rayjay
Registered Member

First off, you can put 6 erectus in that size tank but make sure they are from the same breeding source as the ones you already have.
Anything that stings must go, including anemones. torch, hammer, etc..
You can probably lose the heater also. I keep my house at 20°C (68°F) and it works out fine for the seahorses.
I'm not familiar with the power heads so I can't comment on them except to say that as long as tails cant get sucked up, and as long as the seahorses can't be blasted against something to get injured, it would be OK.
Seahorses only need ambient lighting so all you need is sufficient light for any macro/corals that will be in the tank.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2011, 04:13 PM   #4
mtc1966
Registered Member

thanks will get rid of all things that sting . how about the rock work do you think i should scale it back? also i could of sworn i read on here that coral banded shrimp were okay but i just looked at a compatibility chart i refer to and they are listed as level 4 so i guess he must go? oh do you know if duncans sting ?

Unread 11/07/2011, 04:27 PM   #5
rayjay
Registered Member

Hard for me to comment on the live rock because I don't like it in my display tanks and relegate the live rock to the sumps. I find it hard to see the seahorses at best of times but with rock there, it makes it even harder.
Also, it's a heck of a lot easier to keep clean with no rock to trap uneaten food.
Definitely no coral banded shrimp.
No, I don't know if Duncans sting.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2011, 04:58 PM   #6
mtc1966
Registered Member

shrimp will now be put on my for sale list. still not sure were i read that maybe it was just wishful thinking.

I think the rock work will need to be redone put more in sump sell some just do a low laying group of some sort.

at least once all my live stock is sold i can take my time to get it how i want it before moving the s/h's over