Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Denbf58
Registered Member

pro's and con's on these fixtures

looking for a lamp please help has any one had either of them http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLi...FIT54U-vi.html or http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Trini...FIT54U-vi.html http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medi...FIT56U-vi.html

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef ready koralia 3, 30g sump, 4b 48" t5s lighting, 29g reef with breeding pair clowns 55g reef 55g freshwater
Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

I like the Aquaticlife fixtures. Second to ati imho. Distant second. Lol. Get one you'll like it. What size tank?

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Pro's would be. .. Timer so you save space on your controller. Price is decent for a good fixture. Customer service is great. Ati is a superior fixture but the AL gets the job done with KZ or ATI bulbs. Par is pretty good also. The 6 bulb unit in the 54 watt variety is there best imho.I don't like the 8 bulb unit. Ati for 8 bulbs.

Unread 04/24/2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Aquaticlife out of those listed, hands down but your gonna want good bulbs do add another $70-90.
Since you know you need better bulbs anyway the ATI Sunpower is $100 more and its a way better fixture.

The ATI fixture will have a lot more PAR & the bulbs will last a good while longer which can pay for itself in 2-3 years.

I've been in the market for a much cheaper fixture than the ones you listed but I now think its funny when people buy a fixture that hardly costs more than good bulbs. Not everyone may not need such a good fixture but I haven't found anyone who would buy a lesser fixture after owning a ATI. Buy a quality fixture, if money is tight buy a used quality fixture.

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 04/24/2013 at 07:59 PM.
Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2013, 08:38 PM   #5
TimeConsumer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drae View Post
I like the Aquaticlife fixtures. Second to ati imho. Distant second. Lol. Get one you'll like it. What size tank?
I'd have to disagree, here's my opinions on rankings (yes I know most of these are discontinued)

1: ATI
2: Aquactinics
3: Icecap
4: Tek Elite
5: Tek
6: Geisemann
7: Aquaticlife

Unread 04/24/2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeConsumer View Post
I'd have to disagree, here's my opinions on rankings (yes I know most of these are discontinued)

1: ATI
2: Aquactinics
3: Icecap
4: Tek Elite
5: Tek
6: Geisemann
7: Aquaticlife
Numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 are discontinued. That's a pretty big deal in my book. Ice cap overdrive the bulbs. .. bad. The Teks used work horse ballast iirc and weren't actively cooled (the elite was a miss imho). The giesmans were overpriced and didn't perform as well as the price demanded. And the tx5... with the radius bulb layout was a design flaw. Jmo. So I respectfully disagree also.

Unread 04/25/2013, 01:04 AM   #7
TimeConsumer
Registered Member

Well in the interest of getting this thread back on track I really have one major concern with the OPs intent of using the aquaticlife 4x54w. If he is putting it over the 75g tank in his signature then there are going to be light spread issues compared to most other 4x54w fixtures.

A cross section of the AquaticLife reflector shown here:

This design, very unique, is intended to maximize the light output over a 12" wide tank. The intention is to cause less light to strike to glass. You can see this by the way the reflectors are angled on the outside bulbs. If the OP is intending to use this over an 18" wide tank he will have problems growing corals towards the front and back glass of the aquarium. Depending on coral layout and rockscape this could cause serious issues with growth. A 4x54w with a traditonal parabolic reflector may serve you better over an 18" wide tank.

Unread 04/25/2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Michigan Mike

Denbf58- what size tank (dimensions LxWxH if not a standard tank) & what are your plans concerning what coral you want to keep?

I know some consider the AUATICLIFE an awesome fixture that is possibly better than TEK but I've never liked that reflector design..the outside bulbs do all the work but are pointing in, if the middle reflectors where wider it would be much better, if they used regular SLR reflectors it would be so much better.

Since chatting about what the best of the best are...
I would never pay the high prices for a GIESSEMAN fixture because they aren't cooled properly & ATI does. Every other fixture that does use fans for cooling does it poorly.
Icecap had great reflectors.. Nowadays the LET reflectors are the best, next is ATI. Nothing else in production is worth mentioning IMO.

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 04/25/2013 at 05:03 AM.
Unread 04/25/2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Denbf58
Registered Member

it is a 75 g rr i have all soft corals this is going to be a replacement for the deep blue light i have been having so much trouble with

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef ready koralia 3, 30g sump, 4b 48" t5s lighting, 29g reef with breeding pair clowns 55g reef 55g freshwater
Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Michigan Mike

I'd do a 6x54 T5HO or 2 150w double ended halides like Phoenix 14k, you shouldn't be spending over $120 for T5 bulbs per year or so & less if using Phoenix 14k halides @ $36 x2 its around $80 every year or so (16 months?)