Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

Where to get...

Hi, I recently set up a seahorse tank for my mom's birthday. Everything's good, all the levels are in check and I started seeding it with copepods and all that good stuff but now I would like to add 2 seahorses. She wants a bright yellow or orange and black pair. I've been searching and I occasionally find a bright enough one she likes but it is not a pair. Reidi or Kuda's in particular since they normally the ones with the brightest color. If anyone knows where I could get a bright green or red seahorse as well please let me know because I see pictures of these extremely exotic colors but I never think they are possible to get. So please let me know thanks.

Unread 11/29/2011, 08:28 PM   #2
DanU
Registered Member

Picking a seahorse based on color is like trying to decide between a Green or Brown Chameleon. Seahorses are the chameleons of the ocean. They can and do change color, markings and grow or shed cirri. This is part of their natural defense as the only way to protect themselves from predation is to blend in and be still. Odds are very high they will change color to match the surroundings in the new tank.

Dan

DanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

Interesting, I never knew that. If I do buy a bright yellow one is it possible it turns completely black or is there color change small like just pale yellow or white. Also how can I design it's surroundings that it will stay very brightly colored?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanU View Post
Picking a seahorse based on color is like trying to decide between a Green or Brown Chameleon. Seahorses are the chameleons of the ocean. They can and do change color, markings and grow or shed cirri. This is part of their natural defense as the only way to protect themselves from predation is to blend in and be still. Odds are very high they will change color to match the surroundings in the new tank.

Dan

Unread 11/29/2011, 08:45 PM   #4
mtc1966
Registered Member

by black they are cheaper. mine both turned color once adjusted to my tank one almost yellow and the other more white. they say its really more about mood and such not colors in tank .

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

So is there any particular kind that would remain a fluorescent color? If not what steps could I take to make sure one of the m stays bright yellow or orange.

Unread 11/29/2011, 10:31 PM   #6
rayjay
Registered Member

I don't think any of us has the secret so far.
Not for lack of trying though.
My best luck to date is with red reidi keeping somewhat red in a tank with sky blue paint on the back, ends, and bottom of the tank.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

So what are the pros and cons of getting a Reidi or Kuda over an Erectus. I always though it was because of brighter colors but now I understand that they all change colors.

Unread 11/30/2011, 08:10 AM   #8
amazo
Registered Member

My kuda stays a bright yellow pretty much all the time (only slight veriation light/darker)but when I got him he was a redish yellow the one I had that just past would change from black to almost white at the drop of a hat she seemed to be black while swimming and lighter when she hitched.

amazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2011, 08:18 AM   #9
mtc1966
Registered Member

pro for erectus they are said to be the hardiest .

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Unread 11/30/2011, 12:44 PM   #10
TamiW
Seahorse Wrangler

I agree that my kuda tend to stay yellow despite their surroundings. They seem to be the most consistent of the seahorses I've owned. Right now their tank is very dark due to quite an overgrowth of hair algae, and their still trucking around yellow. They're not as bright yellow as I've seen reidi or erectus get, but not as fickle.

HOWEVER, erectus are fun because they seem to have such a range of color they can choose from. I've had pink ones, orange ones, both bright and burn orange, green, yellow, white, and of course black. Some all within the same individual.

It's all about the snick!

Current Tank Info: I have a fish room.
TamiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

Ok well I placed an order with seahorsesource.com. I am looking forward to receiving them to put in the tank. I got 2 H. Kuda. 1 male and 1 female. I am also currently looking for a blue piece of acrylic I could slide down in the back of the tank because right now it is black and as many have told me, blue backgrounds bring out there brighter colors.

Unread 12/03/2011, 10:01 AM   #12
timinnl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.Luciano View Post
Ok well I placed an order with seahorsesource.com. I am looking forward to receiving them to put in the tank. I got 2 H. Kuda. 1 male and 1 female. I am also currently looking for a blue piece of acrylic I could slide down in the back of the tank because right now it is black and as many have told me, blue backgrounds bring out there brighter colors.
Greeting from Amsterdam,

I hope you will be happy with the kuda's. But don't be disappointed if they don't become the color you want. Enjoy them as is and let the color be a secondary concern.

Kind Regards,

Tim

timinnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

Ok I got the seahorses today and there really cool! The male seems calm and just hangs on a rock all day and occasionally moves around but the female just won't stay in one place. Now I limited the flow as much as possible but theres one part of the tank where the return comes out and for some reason she will just swim up to the output whole and get herself pushed across the tank and then just does it again...sort of like a ride or something. Is this normal because it seemed weird but she continued to do it all day.

Unread 12/06/2011, 07:29 PM   #14
mtc1966
Registered Member

yes my erectus likes to dance in front of the filter return. so what color did they arrive as.

Unread 12/06/2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

They arrived kind of like a light black. I am still happy though as I agreed when purchasing them that they will change color. I hope I just get lucky and they turn lighter otherwise I'm going to buy some light blue plastic sheets and cut them to fit properly in the back of the tank to cover the black back thats there right now so they could hopefully lighten up. Also can anyone tell me if the plastic in the following link would be reef safe or if not any recommendations on what blue plastic I could get thats reef safe? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Sky-Blue-H...5#ht_500wt_986

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
yes my erectus likes to dance in front of the filter return. so what color did they arrive as.