Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Devin R.
Registered Member

Question Lights to powerful?

Okay I asked on ********* and no replies so I thought I would try here.

I have three of the Chinese Black Box LEDs over my 125, 2 are blue and white, the 1 in the center is full spectrum.
I found someone selling a full setup and jumped on the opportunity. So after upgrading from my 16 gallon to a 125 2 months ago, my Blue Hammer started to lose color when it was on the sand bed.
I placed an Acro near the sand bed as an experiment to see how it would do and it's been there the whole 2 months and it's doing fine, so my question is is my lighting to strong for some of the lower light corals if this Acro is doing so well near the sand bed in a shaded area of the tank?
I'll include some photos of the Acro for reference:

Devin R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Yodeling
Registered Member

Few things.

It's "too" powerful, not "to" powerful.
Just because acro didn't die/brown doesn't mean the lights are too strong.
That GSP may become troublesome if you let it spread.

Yodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2014, 09:02 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I run full spectrum LED lights over a 30" tall tank and find my LPS do better towards the ends where the light is somewhat lower. Whether LED is too much light, or just too focused, I cannot say, but I have found some animals (including a Deresa clam) to do better out of the strongest light.

FWIW, I find LPS corals to be a bit twitchy, and have lost some for no apparent reason. It is also possible that your hammer may be getting picked at.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote