Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2006, 10:46 AM   #1
zeblisik
Registered Member

durso pipe without overflow chamber

so how high should the return pipe be?

i have a 1100 gph return pump, 1.5" intake pipe
i tried it out this weekend; the return pipe w/ the middle of the T being at the heigh id like the water to be(a few mm below the black plastic inner rim)

Like this the return pump was too strong, the intake could not keep up(had a few close calls!)

When I took the T off, the intake pipe was about 1 cm below where I wanted it,... like this it was able to keep up w/ the return pump on full.

It did make a horrible gurgle noise.... however when I put my hand on the intake pipe and let the water rise several mm above the intake and released it, the water stayed above the intake and the sound was much less(it stayled like this for 5 min or so, until i turned off the pump).

So I'm wondering how high the durso should be, if i should even use a durso without an overflow wall. I'm thinking i should not, since with no overflow wall the surface of the water will not skim, and in case of a power outage a lot more water will fall into the sump.

I dont particularly want an overflow wall... i wonder how many people do not use one....

zeblisik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 12:45 PM   #2
scrager
Registered Member

sounds like your pump is too powerfull for your drain line in general, with or without a durso.

when you remove the durso, the drain makes that gugling sound, if you block the drain so the water rises, when you remove your hand, the water should drain quickly and return to the original level. since it is staying at the height of when you removed your hand, the drain is only capable of draing the exact amount that the pump is pumping in. if that drain gets blocked in the least, you're headed for a flood.

a durso will reduce the flow a little bit, that's why you are having close calls with the durso on there.

i would suggest throttle down the pump, get a smaller pump, and/or redrill for a larger bulkhead.

once you sort out the flow issues, you can then worry about overflow wall, no wall with a durso, or whatever else you think of.

basically what i'm trying to say is that it sounds like the durso is not the main problem here.

scrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 02:28 PM   #3
zeblisik
Registered Member

I see what you mean.

perhaps I should get another hole drilled.... hmmmm.. I wanted a lot of flow in the tank.

I'm going to turn down the pump and see if the water receeds level to the bare pipe.

do people make use of a float switch in the main tank, to turn off the return pump in case of overflow?? or something similar?

zeblisik is offline   Reply With Quote