Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2014, 07:24 PM   #1
mikellini
Registered Member

Heater advice for 93 gallon rimless

Hi all, I'm looking for help choosing a heater. Being open top with a large surface area, I'm not sure if standard rules of thumb apply. I plan to run the heater(s) off of an apex; as I understand it, this means I probably don't need to run two smaller heaters (not much risk of overheating due to a stuck-on heater). So, I'm thinking that two heaters sized appropriately to heat the tank on their own would be the way to go, with both running off of the same set point. Do you think 2 300 watt heaters would fit the bill? Or do you see any problems with my logic?

BTW I'm planning on placing both heaters in the overflow, I've heard this is generally OK as long as the temp sensor is somewhere else

mikellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 07:38 AM   #2
mikellini
Registered Member

Anybody?

Unread 07/29/2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

I have a 210gl open top with a 100gl basement sump and I run 3 300 watt heaters and there is not any problems keeping up, but then again I keep my house at 74 and the tank temp at 78. I also run the Apex for control and having multiple heaters are the way to go in my opinion.

Mark

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 07:58 AM   #4
mikellini
Registered Member

I'm on board with multiple heaters, and two should work in my case. I'm just not sure if I should have two smaller heaters that can heat the tank combined, or two larger heaters that can each heat the tank should one fail... The second scenario makes more sense to me with using the apex. The only thing is, how can I tell if one of the heaters fails in the on position? And does it really even matter? And I guess I'll have to check every once in a while to make sure one of them hasn't failed in the off position, but that should be easier to check

Unread 07/30/2014, 12:20 AM   #5
IPT
Registered Member

I don't know much about the Apex controller so can't comment there. I've been in the hobby a long time but admittedly not very active in the past few years following new trends and such.

That said I run two heaters that are each slightly under powered for my tank. Together they are more than enough for the tank. If one fails ON my tank will not become soup in a short period of time. If one fails OFF it will just struggle to keep the tank warm and be on all the time. The tank won't become an ice box in no time either. I had it happen once and the change was slow enough I could see the change in the livestock. The tank was warm and stuff was unhappy but it didn't get roasted. Just my 2 cents.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 12:27 PM   #6
tofucube
Registered Member

Agree with multiple heaters hooked up to a controller. You can go with one smaller size and one larger size. Set temp on the smaller size so that it will kick on at the temp you want and set the larger heater at the temp slightly lower than the smaller one. That way, the larger one will only kick on if the smaller one is not able to keep up. That way, if the second larger one is not in use as often then that may prolong the life a little longer.

tofucube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 04:15 PM   #7
mikellini
Registered Member

Hmm those are two different ideas I hadn't heard before. Any others out there?