Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Indigoblue12
Registered Member

Decent T5 fixture advice :)

Ok I'm narrowing my light down to
a t5 fixture.. It's the 90gallon
48 x 18 x 24

I bought a canopy and was thinking
MH but after seeing how expensive it would
Get not mentioning the heat they give off
Apparently .. I'm going to stick with
T5 I guess ...

What do you guys think about the corallife
Aqualight with 4 T5 and the moonlight led
I can pick it up for 300.00 if anyone has any
Other good options in that price range please
Let me know

Indigoblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Indymann99
Registered Member

I would spend $100 more and get LED from reef breeders. No brainier when you factor in T5 bulb changes each year

Unread 07/29/2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

L.E.T retro fit from reef geek. 6x39 watt t5. As good as ati damn near. Jus cool them with a clip fan on the label ends of the bulbs. Use ati bulbs.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Miz40B
Registered Member

www.reefradiance.com Check out the LumenTek Pro series. IMO best LED units for the money.

Miz40B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 09:23 PM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Let

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drae View Post
L.E.T retro fit from reef geek. 6x39 watt t5. As good as ati damn near. Jus cool them with a clip fan on the label ends of the bulbs. Use ati bulbs.
Second this I would also buy them two by two by two that way you get a dawn to dusk effect.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Indigoblue12
Registered Member

thank you everyone.

Im so confused as being a beginer.

I reseached and read and it seems that the best voted lighting was MH
for reef tanks and SPS growth and overall realism.

I was going to put 2 MH and 2 T5 in my new canopy but then the person at the LFS said MH get HOT and take up loads of power adn im not spending money now on a chiller.. She recomended i get a corallife auqalight lunar with 4 T5 and 4 LED (Blue) and fit it in the canopy as a fixture and said it would be fine to do!!
Well now i read that the tank 1st has to be covered (glass) to place that fixutre on the tank. i guess i have to have the top under glass to use a T5 fixture due to splash and salt spray. Then i read that the Corallife does not like canopys becaus they can over heat.. once again a fire hazard!!

Yes i looked at LED from reefbreeder but the cheaper ones are sold out and seems they offer a $500.00 Proton. will the Photon or the reefbreeders grow sps as well as the T5? will the LED look better color wise without that fake bright look? I was hoping for the best fixture to grow SPS and give a realistic view just like the ocean of the display tank and really bring out colors. However i cant spend 800.00 on a LED fixture.. LOL yep cant get into that price area on my first 90 gallon reef tank. Accordnig to some T5 is better then LED anyway... IS this correct? i know i had LED on a christmas tree and had to take it off cause it hurt my eyes and looked fake and to bright.

I really dont want to get rid of the canopy since the tank is going in the living room and i want to be able to grow SPS well...

what should i do I really need help before my head explodes!!

Last edited by Indigoblue12; 07/29/2014 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 07/29/2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue12 View Post
thank you everyone.

Im so confused as being a beginer.

I reseached and read and it seems that the best voted lighting was MH
for reef tanks and SPS growth and overall realism.

I was going to put 2 MH and 2 T5 in my new canopy but then the person at the LFS said MH get HOT and take up loads of power adn im not spending money now on a chiller.. She recomended i get a corallife auqalight lunar with 4 T5 and 4 LED (Blue) and fit it in the canopy as a fixture and said it would be fine to do!!
Well now i read that the tank 1st has to be covered (glass) to place that fixutre on the tank. i guess i have to have the top under glass to use a T5 fixture due to splash and salt spray. Then i read that the Corallife does not like canopys becaus they can over heat.. once again a fire hazard!!

Yes i looked at LED from reefbreeder but the cheaper ones are sold out and seems they offer a $500.00 Proton. will the Photon or the reefbreeders grow sps as well as the T5? will the LED look better color wise without that fake bright look? I was hoping for the best fixture to grow SPS and give a realistic view just like the ocean of the display tank and really bring out colors. However i cant spend 800.00 on a LED fixture.. LOL yep cant get into that price area on my first 90 gallon reef tank. Accordnig to some T5 is better then LED anyway... IS this correct? i know i had LED on a christmas tree and had to take it off cause it hurt my eyes and looked fake and to bright.

I really dont want to get rid of the canopy since the tank is going in the living room and i want to be able to grow SPS well...

what should i do I really need help before my head explodes!!
The L.E.T retro is for use in the canopy. You'll be able to grow ANYTHING you want with this setup. Plus you can add led strips for better dusk/dawn or night time viewing. Keep the canopy... Retro fit.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 12:13 AM   #8
Indigoblue12
Registered Member

Thank you ...

Unread 07/30/2014, 12:19 AM   #9
moondoggy4
Registered Member

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...dl1v8vHsLMqs-w they are a sponsor here as well.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 07:00 AM   #10
Indigoblue12
Registered Member

Great info!! Thank you .. This lighting
Situation is driving me nuts