Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Orsamax
Registered Member

Pondering a "unique" rock curing method

Howdy all,
I've posted this here as opposed to elsewhere because I don't posit this as a "new to the hobby" question, and I don't think it's quite theoretical enough to be considered an advanced topic either, so here goes:

I was very lucky in establishing my tank as I purchased most of my rock cured/cycled from my local LFS (the place is a mess, but the corals, fish, and inverts are healthy) and just plugged and played right away (not advised, I know). When I finally retire and settle down, I want a large (300-500 gallon) setup, and I'd be much less willing to take chances with something like that. Has anyone ever considered a hybrid curing method where they purchase cured live rock from a store or even just got it from other reefers, rinse it well with clean saltwater, and then just "nuked" it with all of the "last resort" pest treatments? I would do so before adding livestock, so that there would be no ill effects on fish, corals, or inverts. The reason I'm interested in this is that something in me doesn't like the idea of getting dry rock and starting a cycle by initially polluting the tank only to try to get the parameters back under control through the natural cycle. I'm sure that I'm missing something. But this hybrid approach seems to have the benefit having beneficial bacteria in the system without having to let the system get out of control in the first place in order to orchestrate a cycle. Thoughts?

Orsamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2019, 04:36 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What exactly does nuked with all last resort pest treatments entail to you?

Unread 03/05/2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Orsamax
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply! So to be honest, I don't have them all memorized, but the things that you see in these forums where someone will say "you could use (insert chemical here) for your flatworm (or any other pest infestation, algae, dinos, or whatever) problem, but I would only do that as a last resort because it will impact your corals, fish, inverts, etc." But if you didn't have any livestock, and did a large (or complete) water change after treatments, before adding livestock you could treat for almost all ailments without the adverse side effects on livestock.

Unread 03/05/2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The real problem is things come in with livestock.
Even dipping corals may still let something microscopic in we can't see.
Have you ever said " where did that come from, I don't remember buying it?"

Unread 03/05/2019, 06:40 PM   #5
Cliving1
Registered Member

I feel that would just be overkill. I would just buy rock from an lfs you trust or an online service like Tampa bay saltwater. You also don't know what putting them all in at once will do, possibly have negative effects?

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2019, 05:22 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

If your going to "nuke" the rock, why go through the hassle of live rock? Your basically going to "nuke" the rock back to being just dry rock. Why not just save yourself the hassle and start with dry rock?

I personally would never start another tank with just dry rock, you miss so much of the biodiversity. Also most tanks I read about that have problems, started with dry rock. Yes you may get some unwanted hitchhikers, or some pest algae, but they can all be dealt with. The missing biodiversity from dead dry rock, does not outweigh the few pests/hitchhikers you may get with real live rock.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2019, 07:05 AM   #7
Orsamax
Registered Member

Thank you all. I appreciate your responses. Gives me a lot to think about.