Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2018, 06:14 PM   #1
aravindk
Registered Member

Biopellet Bacterial bloom

I have been using Biopellet reactor for several years. Lately, I am experiencing heavy bacterial bloom. I mean the thick slimy stuff that is floating in the sump, stringy things that line up the wall of the sump and wires and stuff. It even goes to the display tank and the water is not as clear as it used to be. Every day I use a fishnet to grab as much as I can and dump it. But I am unable to keep up.

I have the reactor output line near the skimmer intake. My skimmer is a Royal Exclusive Alpha Cone 200, a workhorse that has served me quite well. I know that this skimmer had handled this load pretty well in the past and I am confident it is not like skimmer is not able to handle the load.

Any ideas where to look for trouble?

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 07:11 PM   #2
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Did you recently refill the reactor? Is the skimmer producing as normal? I had this happen when I refilled mine, except my bacterial bloom was in the water column instead of the rocks. It lasted for two weeks until I put a UV sterilizer online. Cleared it up overnight.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 10:09 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I might try cutting back on the amount of media in the reactor if there's been no recent changes in its setup. Have there been any recent feeding changes?

Unread 12/26/2018, 10:40 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep...cut down on the amount of biopellets...sounds like too much..

Unread 12/27/2018, 06:55 AM   #5
aravindk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
Did you recently refill the reactor? Is the skimmer producing as normal? I had this happen when I refilled mine, except my bacterial bloom was in the water column instead of the rocks. It lasted for two weeks until I put a UV sterilizer online. Cleared it up overnight.
Last time it was refilled two months ago. I had put a 1000 ml in it. The media is nearly gone and it is like powdery stuff right now and it is time for me to order another refill. Skimmer is overflowing all the time which is also unusual. I come to suspect it is this excess bacteria is causing the overflow.

Unread 12/27/2018, 06:58 AM   #6
aravindk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I might try cutting back on the amount of media in the reactor if there's been no recent changes in its setup. Have there been any recent feeding changes?
Nowadays I am only feeding once every other day but I feed heavily. It is a 180g system and I probably have about 12 fish in it. While I have a fewer fish than usual, the ones I have are pretty large. Do you think since I only feed every other day there is not much bio load therefore the Biopellet reactor is a kind of overkill?

Unread 12/27/2018, 08:29 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What are your nitrate/phosphate levels?.
If they are low and not an issue then a biopellet reactor isnt needed...if you have troubles maintaining them then it can help...plain and simple..

Unread 12/27/2018, 10:06 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

Feeding less food more frequently might help limit the bloom. The nutrient pulse might be an issue. I am not sure what is happening, though. Feeding less total food should tend to reduce the need for pellets, but even that can get complicated.

Unread 12/28/2018, 10:28 AM   #9
aravindk
Registered Member

I am going to take the Biopellet reactor offline. I will monitor for couple of months and see how the tank does. Thanks everyone for your valuable input. Much appreciated as always.

Unread 12/28/2018, 02:50 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, please let us know how it goes!

Unread 12/22/2020, 08:49 AM   #11
cwschoon
Registered Member

Please forgive the thread revival! I am looking at the JNS Alpha 1 for my 125 mixed reef and it comes with 250ml of pellets. Can someone guide me, as to the proper volume of pellets please? Am dosing nopox now but will be travelling for work in the future.
Thanks.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote