Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2016, 10:55 AM   #1
codydemmel4
Registered Member

those with gobies, actually keep your sand clean??

SO I am thinking of taking sand out of my next setup because I do not like how it gets dirty sometimes.

However if I can get the opinion of reefers who keep gobies, do they actually keep your sand bed white and clean? I am not talking about crystal white but moderately white is that possible?

If so what is your sand and what goby do you have?

Thanks!!

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

No fish will make your sand white, but some will rearrange it massively. They're personable and funny, and if you don't like them for that, they're not for you. My own favorite is the yellow watchman. Had a pair of plain watchmen, and 'mated pair' they were, great partner-tending in that set: when the male went over on his side unconscious during a tank-moving accident, the female worked for many minutes nudging him upright, getting him to move, and much as I did to save him, she did most. They lived quite a long time. YOu'll often only see one, as the partner seems to nab food for both.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 11:20 AM   #3
HidingReefer
Registered Member

I have a dragon goby, at first he made a mess dumping sand everywhere, but now he's more careful. I still have to blow off sand off corals though. Just be aware of this, corals that need to be on the sand bed might have a problem, like fungias.

I love my dragon goby, they can make a mess, so be prepared to deal with that, what Sk8r said is true it wont make your sand white, however it will re arrange the sand, making it look cleaner.

Mine doesn't do the best job at keeping the sand clean, but I don't mind

HidingReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 11:32 AM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Like mentioned above they'll move some sand around for you, but they're also pooping in that very same substrate you wish to keep to keep clean. The micro fauna will most likely be decimated over time too. They're not sifting through that sand for fun.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 10:42 PM   #5
lokmar
Registered Member

My orange spot keeps about half of the sand bed in my 120 clean. For some reason, he tends to sift all the sand in the front half of the tank. He isnt too bad about rearranging things. Great reef fish and fun to watch.

lokmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 10:59 PM   #6
JZinCO
Registered Member

My twin-spot keeps the sand pretty clean but tends to lightly dust everything in the tank.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 11:09 PM   #7
Half Vaped
Registered Member

I had a Diamond Goby that did a great job at keeping the sand clean in my 150G for over nine months. I think it slowly died of starvation, since I never saw it eat any prepared foods. It seemed to fully depend on the micro-flora and -fauna in the sandbed, which my system might not produce enough of. It was very skinny towards the end of its tenure.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 11:35 PM   #8
minus9
Registered Member

Like Sk8r said, they are fun to watch. They don't clean the sand, but certain gobies sift the sand for food (microfauna). If you want your sand "cleaned", then I would suggest getting a CUC that cleans the sand, fighting conch's, cerith snails, ect.....
I have a Neon Goby who keeps the fish clean (and zips around the tank) and I just picked up a Yasha Goby - Candy Cane Pistol shrimp pair today. Talk about fun to watch.
I'm old school, so a tank without sand looks strange to me, but that's just me.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 02:39 PM   #9
d-man
Registered Member

I have and will always have diamond gobies as my primary sand cleaners. By far the best I've ever kept. I have 3 in my tank that are awesome. I also have a orange band, a bluespot, and a Randall's as my other gobies, but they are not cleaners.

Get the diamond gobies and watch the sand stay almost pure white

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 02:49 PM   #10
EdgeN
Registered Member

A friend of mine had a tank with a Diamond Goby in it one time. While the sand did look prestine at first glance, I put my finger in the substrate and shook it vigorously and a big cloud of detritus emerged. Looks can be deceiving sometimes.
If you really want to keep your sand bed clean a siphon is your best bet.

EdgeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 02:56 PM   #11
BlackTip
Registered Member

I have a Diamond Watchman in the QT. The QT was bare bottom. I have few PVC pipes and I placed a bowl of sand. In couple of weeks, he took the sand from the bowl mouth full at a time and created a cave for himself. He chose a PVC pipe, placed a large pile of sand in front and back, left a small openings, and placed some of the sand on the sides of the pipe, so it doesn't sway in the current. One morning, I found the plastic bowl floating on top. Very fascinating and interesting to watch. I am nervously looking forward to what he is going to do in the DT.

Unread 11/07/2016, 03:12 PM   #12
Half Vaped
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
I have and will always have diamond gobies as my primary sand cleaners. By far the best I've ever kept. I have 3 in my tank that are awesome. I also have a orange band, a bluespot, and a Randall's as my other gobies, but they are not cleaners.

Get the diamond gobies and watch the sand stay almost pure white
Did you guys with Diamond Gobies ever have problems with getting them to eat prepared foods (frozen Mysis, Brine, Cyclop-eeze, etc.)? I want to try another one, but don't want it to starve to death. I really miss how it kept the sand whitish.

Unread 11/07/2016, 05:21 PM   #13
stephen.davis.
Registered Member

Mine ate frozen from day one

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stephen.davis. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 05:53 PM   #14
karm40
Registered Member

As an add on to Diamond gobies, I've had 2 jump and my tank is 30 inches deep so... caution.

karm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 07:31 AM   #15
johnike
Moved On

I have a pair of Tangaroas, pair of Randalls, a Yasha Hase, and a pair of Twinspots.
Sand is incredibly clean.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 07:44 AM   #16
Sonyardo
Registered Member

I'm using crushed marble play sand as a substrate. I also have a diamond goby that does a fine outstanding job of keeping the sand sifted. The fish will kick up a little sand every once in a while. The diamond goby takes food from the water column with the rest of the fish and then will sift sand throughout the day. I usually only notice sand in the water column when the fish is actually digging a new hole or renovating it's old one

Sonyardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 07:56 AM   #17
toothybugs
In Memoriam

I had a diamond/ orange-spot in my old 75. My girlfriend at the time named it Gulp. He was awesome fun and did an excellent job (and ate frozen from the get-go).

But I went through 3 in as many months before figuring out they need a lid on the tank....

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 08:37 AM   #18
LJLKRL
Registered Member

I have a diamond goby and he is awesome. He stays near the bottom and does not carry sand up high and drop it on corals. He travels the entire sand bed too. He eats pellets and Mysis and whatever he gets from the sand.
He works all day long too.

LJLKRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 08:59 AM   #19
codydemmel4
Registered Member

awesome thanks for all the suggestions and experiences with them. I do have a lid so I think I would be good on that aspect.

If you guys should say what size tank you have with the goby that would be great, would it be too much to get 2 diamond gobies for a 180 gallon?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 11/08/2016, 09:02 AM   #20
LJLKRL
Registered Member

I have one in a 210. I was not sure I could add a second one, if they would get along. Mine is a diamond goby.

LJLKRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 09:09 AM   #21
johnike
Moved On

93 cube

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 09:58 AM   #22
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnike View Post
93 cube
damn wiht 7 gobies? I guess you do have a lot of water volume but i thought they would starve to death

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 11/08/2016, 10:00 AM   #23
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJLKRL View Post
I have one in a 210. I was not sure I could add a second one, if they would get along. Mine is a diamond goby.
how does it keep the sand?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 11/08/2016, 10:04 AM   #24
d-man
Registered Member

Yes a top is a must.

And yes they only clean the top layer. They are not the only thing u should have for a sand bed. Also depending on tank size, a sand sifting star, and lots of nassarius snails will help rotate the sand while the goby keeps the top white

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 11:01 AM   #25
Half Vaped
Registered Member

Wow, I guess I was the only one with a Diamond Goby that didn't eat. I was going to give up on this species, but I guess I'll give them another shot. Thanks guys.