Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2016, 06:54 PM   #1
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Leopard wrasses

Hey guys if you read my other post my DT is fallow right now it's given me time to read up on fish I want does anyone know if you can mix different species of leopard wrasses or just a few of the same kind?

Joshua I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 07:12 PM   #2
heathlindner25
Moved On

No problem mixing leopards,imo.I have a blue star and a black spot,no problems.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 07:12 PM   #3
AlSimmons
Registered Member

This link might help.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.php

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2016, 11:24 PM   #4
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Just be sure that you are up to the challenge. Leopards are incredibly difficult to keep, and it's mostly luck. Even the best fishkeepers on this site have trouble with them. Make sure you do your research on them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/09/2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Thanks I have mind telling me things that might help increases my chance? I know it's mostly luck I've heard of new reefers doing great with them and people who have doing it for years fail. Also do I need a sump/fuge.

Unread 11/09/2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Also should I order online if so where or go to LSF? So you know I don't have a QT system plan to get one but won't with these due to stress and how hard they are to keep.

Unread 11/09/2016, 11:50 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I would never put one on a system that is not well established with TONS of pods,etc..
IF you can get one that is already eating flake food you have a better chance..
Did you read the link Al provided above?

and this..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/aaeditorial
and this..
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/macropharyngodon.htm

Unread 11/09/2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Just read it will read yours now thanks guys and I only see some pods in my tank but a ton of small snails does that work

Unread 11/09/2016, 12:05 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua I. View Post
Just read it will read yours now thanks guys and I only see some pods in my tank but a ton of small snails does that work
They will eat "baby" snails if they can get them in their little mouths..
IMO.. From what I've seen/heard so far... This is not the fish for you though..

I'm a "when you're ready you don't need to ask questions" kind of guy

Unread 11/09/2016, 12:17 PM   #10
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Thanks and yeah the snails are super small but I'm asking to get ready my tank is fallow right now and these guys look amazing so I'm trying to set up for them

Unread 11/09/2016, 01:16 PM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks and yeah the snails are super small but I'm asking to get ready my tank is fallow right now and these guys look amazing so I'm trying to set up for them
IMO.. The neatest part of them is how they sleep under the sand in their own mucus bubble.. Mine goes to "sleep" each night at the exact same time.. Their internal clock is CRAZY.. My wife and I literally watch the clock then go over and sure enough.. cloud of sand and its off to sleep.. It sleeps for 14 hours a day though.. 8pm to 10am

oh.. and you NEED a decently fine 2" or so min sand bed for sure..

Unread 11/09/2016, 01:34 PM   #12
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Yeah I have a large deep sand beds some parts are 2 inches other parts are like 4

Unread 11/09/2016, 10:54 PM   #13
Cancun
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Hey guys if you read my other post my DT is fallow right now it's given me time to read up on fish I want does anyone know if you can mix different species of leopard wrasses or just a few of the same kind?
I have a female Bipartus Leopard Wrasse and a Potters Leopard wrasse. Had both of for them for several months now....they get along great....they eat pe mysis....cyclopeez....and pods...I tried to add a second bipartus a week after my first one...and the first one bullied it to death. So I had luck with two different species of Leopard Wrasse....I would recommend buying one at your LFS rather then online...make sure it is in good health and eatting frozen before you take it home. Also if you haven't already check out the Leopard Wrasse primer on here....I read the whole thing before I bought my first one....a wealth of great info!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 02:45 PM   #14
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

I have a Female Blue Star Leopard Wrasse that got caught up in my overflow and filter socks. It wound up in my filter sock bucket for 3 weeks before I washed them. I found her in there and she was still alive in the little water at the bottom of the bucket. I put her in quarantine for a week and she was back in the display as good as ever.

I consider this very lucky for a leopard wrasse to make it through that...for any fish really.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Mixed Reef - SPS, LPS, Apex Controller, Aquamaxx AM250 Skimmer, 2 x Tunze 6105, Waveline DC6000 Return Pump
BlueWorldJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 05:57 PM   #15
Mishri
Registered Member

I had no problem with my leopard wrasse, but I got it at a LFS and it was already eating frozen mysis.... I wish I didn't have to sell him, but was making a long move and wanted to tear the tank down.. in retrospect I think I could have figured out a way..and I wish I had..

Unread 11/12/2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Cancun
Registered Member

Did the OP ever get a Leopard Wrasse?

Unread 11/12/2016, 02:27 PM   #17
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

IME just don't try to mix multiple males. Females generally, though not always, do well together. Key with these fish (as the sticky notes) is getting them eating. Pods help, but are not as necessary as with a mandarin, for example. Leopards are shy immediately, so housing them initially in a QT with sand really helps. I find most of them take brine or Mysis.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2016, 05:30 PM   #18
Cancun
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
IME just don't try to mix multiple males. Females generally, though not always, do well together. Key with these fish (as the sticky notes) is getting them eating. Pods help, but are not as necessary as with a mandarin, for example. Leopards are shy immediately, so housing them initially in a QT with sand really helps. I find most of them take brine or Mysis.

I agree.....Although I didn't QT my two...both my blue star and my potters were eatting at my LFS.....I had my LFS feed them PE Mysis because that is my main food I feed my tank...my blue star was out until lights out....then dove in the sand for three days...then has been on my light cycle ever since. My potters never stayed under the sand for days...went in the sand the first night...and back up the next morning.....I love those two! LOL!

Unread 11/12/2016, 11:09 PM   #19
Joshua I.
Registered Member

To answer a few questions my tank is still fallow however I've been doing a lot of research people say there best in groups of about three and adding some after is a bad idea. thoughts? If so what three maybe same species maybe different and how is live aquaria with this stuff thanks guys

Unread 11/14/2016, 05:58 PM   #20
Joshua I.
Registered Member

btw have any of you been able to keep one for over a year and a half

Unread 11/14/2016, 08:11 PM   #21
MuShu
Registered Member

Nope. I had two in my 55gal and they were both dead within a week and a half. I drip acclimated and they were eating well at the LFS.

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 08:22 PM   #22
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Well that doesn't sound good to me it sounds lime if they make it passed a month they'll be ok. So what three wrasses are going to be the top picks or should i do all the same kind? or just one or two

Unread 11/14/2016, 11:22 PM   #23
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Allow your tank to mature before attempting it.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 07:27 AM   #24
eastlake
Registered Member

Quote:
Well that doesn't sound good to me it sounds lime if they make it passed a month they'll be ok. So what three wrasses are going to be the top picks or should i do all the same kind? or just one or two
^^^Once the tank is mature enough I would talk to a local store you trust, provided there's one close to you, and see if they can get you a trio of the same species. On the reef they live in harems and are constantly interacting with each other so they may continue their natural social structure if you do that. I have a meleagris and potters that get along great but the meleagris acts a bit neurotic at times "pacing" up and down one of the walls of my tank (150gal) I suspect its because there aren't more of her kind. I've had each for about a year and a half now, both were eating or showing interest in food at the store and have been on flakes and froze since the day they moved in. I think its one of those fish that you shouldn't buy unless you see them eating.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 08:49 AM   #25
homer1475
Registered Member

I have a female black spot and shes been nice and fat for about 6 months now. I have gotten her to eat a pellet now and then, but she prefers hunting pods all day.

Definitely not a fish for beginners, or not mature tanks.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote