Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2011, 11:11 AM   #1
FishyBeaner
IEMAS Member

Question breeding H. Reidi

Back in '04 I was learning to breeding H. Reidi's. My last attempt was succesfull but then my heater broke and I lost my 2 month old Seahorses. I had 3 pairs in a 30G hex. My set up was simple, just a HOB filter, live sand and a seawhip skeleton. I still have this tank and I want to givie it another go since I'm also going to start aquaculturing rotifers for my corals and clownfish fry. I think my success rate for raising them would be much higher with rotifers than with artemia this time arround. I've been tossing arround ideas for this set up. First I thought of plumbing it with my 60G QT tank so I can run a sum and a good skimmer, but then I started to think that it might be a bad idea because the new fish in the QT might have something on them that can affect the health of the seahorses. Then i though of running it as a system by it self Just because of that reason. Now I'm thinking about plumbing it in to my 120 mixed reef. The added water volume can add more stability to the system and water conditions will be better beacuse I have a huge skimmer on this tank. I was also thinking about throwing in seagrasses and other like plants so I can use it a refugium and I can free up that space in the sump for an ATO system. Any thoughts?

Current Tank Info: Visio 72x30x24, Aqua Illumination Sol Blues, 2 MP40's, Alpha 200 Skimmer, Geo 612 calcium reactor, Apex Aqua Controller.
FishyBeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 02:21 PM   #2
wdt2000
Registered Member

If all your fish are QT that enter the reef it might not be a bad idea for the seahorse IMO if you can control the temp in the seahorses tank to a reasonable level. What it might do to your reef is a whole different issue. What temp would the tank run if it were inline with your reef?

wdt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 04:40 PM   #3
FishyBeaner
IEMAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdt2000 View Post
If all your fish are QT that enter the reef it might not be a bad idea for the seahorse IMO if you can control the temp in the seahorses tank to a reasonable level. What it might do to your reef is a whole different issue. What temp would the tank run if it were inline with your reef?
my reef idles at 78 degrees. Thats about where I use to keep my seahorse tank when I had it back then. Is it to warm?

Current Tank Info: Visio 72x30x24, Aqua Illumination Sol Blues, 2 MP40's, Alpha 200 Skimmer, Geo 612 calcium reactor, Apex Aqua Controller.
Unread 07/15/2011, 11:00 PM   #4
rayjay
Registered Member

Most long term seahorse keepers would recommend no higher than 74° generally speaking but some are successful at higher temperatures.
I tried a lot of ways before finally settling on 4 litre jars for my "nurseries".
I use the greenwater method, changing the water and cleaning the containers every two days.
I use enriched rotifers for the first two weeks, enriched rotifers and enriched brine for the following two weeks, and enriched brine starting with week five.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 09:53 AM   #5
FishyBeaner
IEMAS Member

NICE! looks like I might be setung this tank up by it sel or maybe with the QT tank. I used the green water method on my last batch I had and that's the one that worked. Your set up is awesome! I'll be copying you =P