Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Urbs
Registered Member

Halide Questions

I'm currently using 4 T'5 and a Radion G2 over my 65 in a canopy. After learning, reading and more reading and staring a about 9000 pic's I want to switch to a halide and T'5 combo. My reef (lots of frags) is heavy SPS with couple lps. Everything is doing well just want to try this out for awhile.

Couple of questions:

1 tank is 36x20x21 will I be ok running one 250 with 4 T'5? Thinking about going with Giesemann Spectra 2'. Coverage concerns...?

2 If I go with two 250 halides will I most likely need a chiller? Asking for budget. I live in MO and it gets hot and cold here lol. Tank is in dining rm and that is on the south side of the house so it does get warmer than most rms. Sump sits in basement though so hoping to add fans and get away with that. Please share experiences and thoughts.

3 Whatever I go with one or two bulb situation thinking radium. Really like the pics I see with those bulbs. With that said what is a good T5 combo to go with radium bulbs?

I'm a nube tank has been up and running since Feb of 13. Appreciate any input from everyone. I love this forum really helps us beginners.......so thank you!

Urbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 09:09 PM   #2
d2mini
Registered Member

1) My old cube (the "ecotech cube" on their website before it had radions over it) was exactly that. A single 250w DE MH with 4 t5's. 36x36x24 cube.
2) It was open top rimless, and I needed heaters. We kept our house in the low 70's during the day and cooler at night.
3)You can see my current build thread. I now have radiums and most recently installed 2 giesemann pure actinics, one blue+ and one kz super blue.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Urbs
Registered Member

Thank you d2mini. Really want the Giesemann fixture just don't want to drop a grand then discover I really needed two radiums.
Where is everyone finding these M80 ballast that are suppose to be good w radiums?

Unread 07/14/2014, 06:10 AM   #4
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbs View Post
Thank you d2mini. Really want the Giesemann fixture just don't want to drop a grand then discover I really needed two radiums.
Where is everyone finding these M80 ballast that are suppose to be good w radiums?
Hamilton makes M80 magnetic ballasts.
http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/it...ed-Ballast-378

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:02 AM   #5
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you like the Geismann's check out AquaMedic. Real M80 ballasts and good fixtures. They are not too terribly expensive either.

Neither of those will spread all that well - the reflectors are pretty small. The do get a LOT of light into the tank, though. You might consider a something like a Cayman Sun or a Reef Optic type of reflector... more room, but more spread.

AquaMedic got sold out of the M80 ballasts recently, but they were less than $100. You can see if they have them back again.

I used to live in Missouri. I know what you are dealing with. There are probably 10-12 days a year that the fans won't get you by. Just shut the lights off on those days and everything will be OK. Most days, my heaters ran. I had a chiller and they almost never came on if I got the fans on first.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Urbs
Registered Member

Ok thank you been big help. You happy since switching to halides?

Unread 07/14/2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Urbs
Registered Member

Thank you jda. I will look into Aquamedic. Since you brought up cayman type fixture would you use one w t5's? Would spread be enough or should guy have two?

Unread 07/14/2014, 10:04 AM   #8
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbs View Post
You happy since switching to halides?
Without a doubt.
More importantly, my corals have been VERY happy.

Unread 07/14/2014, 10:11 AM   #9
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I just use 250W phoenix bulbs or 20K radium with no supplements. I am not into dusk/dawn and these bulbs need no supplementation. I just save the heat and electricity without any T5. If I did supplement, it would be with VHO anyway.

I have some AquaMedic fixtures that are made to cover 24x24". The coral will do OK with 6" more to the sides. I cover a 7' tank with a 6' fixture so there is 6" extra on either side, similar to yours. I keep BTAs on one end and SPS on the other. I am growing a few high end chalices and a rainbow hammer in the sand on one end and they grow like crazy. The BTAs are all at least 8" and they split about every 2 months (kinda annoying actually). The SPS grow well, but not as well as they do more to the middle. They have more shadows too. If this 7' tank were my SPS tank, I would add another light... but it isn't. 2 would be better if you want wall-to-wall colonies SPS, but 1 might be OK... totally depends on you and what you want to keep at the edges.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Urbs
Registered Member

Ok got it thank you both for your info.