Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2015, 07:41 AM   #1
starionesir
Registered Member

Anemone in return pipe?

I have been trying to nurse a rbta back to life in my fuge and he is looking better so I move him to the dt. Yesterday I could find him anywhere and feared the worst that he might have met his death from one of the mp40's. I gave up and started going about my regular maintence and found him in my sump attached to my protein skimmer?

Only way he could have made it down there was to go through my return strainer through all my piping and valves and dumped out into the sump. I would have never though it possible without seeing it with my own eyes. Anemone is fine and is currently back in the fuge until I can figure out a way to keep him out of the sump. Any ideas?

Also on a side note. Glad I did run two return lines as I can only imagine while he was working his way down he would have had to been obstructing almost all water flow and without the second drain would have been a overflow for sure.

starionesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 07:43 AM   #2
BigCountry74
Registered Member

U got decent light on the fuge? heck just let him chill down there for a few maybe

Current 40g reef
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2483250

Current Tank Info: 40g bare bottom reef
BigCountry74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 07:46 AM   #3
FraggledRock
Registered Member

I don't get it... Do you have an overflow box? And why dont you have filter sponges around the 40s if you fear a possible blended deamise?

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 10:11 AM   #4
starionesir
Registered Member

I did put a filter sponge on the mp40 near where the anemone was. I do not have a overflow box. My tank is drilled in the back and I have the screw in strainers on the bulk head fittings.

I do have two 10 watt led lights on the fuge which isn't the best but seems to work for him.

Unread 02/24/2015, 10:13 AM   #5
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Honestly i doubt he made it down there because ' he "wanted " to be there.

He probably got dislodged from his footing and floating around thill the drain pipe siphoned him down.

i would get a decemt overflow box over your drain holes for many reasons.

what lighting do you have in your DT and what size tank you have?

what power output do you have on your mp40s? Anenomes dont like extreme flow.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
Unread 02/24/2015, 10:38 AM   #6
starionesir
Registered Member

He was not floating he was attached to the wall pretty securely as is the other larger bubble tip. The mp40's are currently running 20% power so flow should not be a issue. The tank is 100 gallons.

Lighting is two ocean revive T247's. Why run a overflow box on my drains? Besides this anemone going down there I've had zero issues in the year and half the tank has been up and running.

Unread 02/24/2015, 10:42 AM   #7
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starionesir View Post
He was not floating he was attached to the wall pretty securely as is the other larger bubble tip. The mp40's are currently running 20% power so flow should not be a issue. The tank is 100 gallons.

Lighting is two ocean revive T247's. Why run a overflow box on my drains? Besides this anemone going down there I've had zero issues in the year and half the tank has been up and running.
I can think of one issue now =P

I don't want to turn this into any debate, but i doubt he crawled his way into your sump =/

overflow box will help with surface skimming as well as prevent any more situations like this.

to each their own, im just trying to help you figure out a solution.

Unread 02/24/2015, 10:48 AM   #8
starionesir
Registered Member

Wasn't starting a debate was just curious what I would gain from added a overflow box. I have had them before and honestly see no difference from the setup I'm running now. The water is still skimmed from the top like with the boxes. Besides the anemone going down I've had no issues. If the anemone was larger he also would have not made it down the drain.

Unread 02/24/2015, 10:59 AM   #9
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starionesir View Post
Wasn't starting a debate was just curious what I would gain from added a overflow box. I have had them before and honestly see no difference from the setup I'm running now. The water is still skimmed from the top like with the boxes. Besides the anemone going down I've had no issues. If the anemone was larger he also would have not made it down the drain.
how small is it then? you mention you have a mesh screen on there

Unread 02/24/2015, 12:26 PM   #10
starionesir
Registered Member

About the size of a half dollar. I have the standard screw in screens that come with the bulkhead kits. I did cut some of the material out so it let more water pass through more easily but still has fairly small holes.

Unread 02/24/2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Plastic needlepoint canvas, a sewing item ---look at Michaels or other store that caters to embroiderers. If you don't have a bad hair algae problem, it can be a great anti-jump screen and can keep nems out of pumps. You can cut it with scissors and stitch it with fishing line into a box or shield.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 06:50 AM   #12
starionesir
Registered Member

Thanks for the info I never thought of that before. I was thinking about maybe using the foam prefilter that came with the mag drive pumps. Very similar to the mp40 prefilter material.