Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2015, 09:29 AM   #1
MJV0103
Registered Member

New 10G QT Tank help

So i'm going to set up a temporary 10g QT today. I have read a ton of info on getting them setup, but not much on the maintenance of them. This is what I'm going to get,

10g tank
hood with fluorescent lighting
50watt heater
HOB simple filter that i can remove carbon from if needing to apply medications
and some PVC for hiding places
covering bottom and 3 sides of glass to reduce reflections and stress

This tank will only be used when QT'ing fish. So it will be broken down after i stock my tank and brought back up when needed.

What's the best way to maintain it to keep the fish happy and healthy?
Should I stock it with water from my DT thats just finished cycling or start with brand new fresh mixed water.
How often and how much % should water changes be?
Also, what medications should be run in it, and generally for how long?

Appreciate all the input...

MJV0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 10:32 AM   #2
scooter31707
Registered Member

I have a 20 gallon long that i keep running for my QT. For example, I have 2 small fish in their now, both about 2 inches. I will keep them in their for 6 weeks pending nothing is wrong. I run Cuperamine for 4 weeks and the 1st week is PraziPro for flukes. Once they are done I will transfer them to the DT. Then I do a 15% water change and run carbon for a week before introducing any other fish. During the that time that the tank fallow, I will drop pieces of frozen food in there to keep the bacteria going, then do a 5% water change the day before I get new fish. Once I finally have all of my stock list, I will buy new media for the filter and place it in sump of my DT, just in case I have to set it back up. To keep them happy you need clean water, maintain your parameters, and properly nutrition. For as cycling, I like to start fresh, you can use the water from the DT, put your filter has no bacteria on it, so it will still have to go through a cycle. You can add bio-spira or stability to help with the process, or add a shrimp for awhile until you get a good ammonia spike.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote