Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2015, 08:56 PM   #1
JMcGarva
Registered Member

Clown fish rubbing against things at night

I have two clowns and a few other fish. I noticed tonight the bigger of the two clowns is rubbing against the sand, other fish, rocks, and even the heater. I looked up the definition of flashing and I don't think he is really doing that. The tank is about 2 weeks and we did a water change today. The tank is getting its first dose of the brown stuff growing on the rocks and sand. The local fish stuff told me this was going to happen and after a water change it might go away, if not then it's time to get the crabs and snals. I'm just wondering what is going on with that one clown. Not sure if he's playing or what. During the day he is perfectly fine

Thanks

Unread 02/25/2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Corriebh
Registered Member

Two weeks is not an old tank at all. What are your numbers at?

Corriebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 09:59 PM   #3
JMcGarva
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corriebh View Post
Two weeks is not an old tank at all. What are your numbers at?

Ammonia is at 0ppm as well as nitrite and nitrate and pH is 8.4

Rank has already cycled

Unread 02/25/2015, 10:16 PM   #4
FraggledRock
Registered Member

clowns do crazy things

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 11:20 PM   #5
JMorris271
Registered Member

That sounds like Flashing to me.

Last edited by JMorris271; 02/25/2015 at 11:26 PM.
JMorris271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 01:25 AM   #6
archangel91
Registered Member

From the title it sounds like she is only doing this at night? When you say she is rubbing on these things, does it look like it's on purpose rubbing the gills on things? Or does it look more like just bumping into things on the bottom of the stomach?

My clowns rub into the sand at night when they're sleeping and it's always seemed pretty normal to me. When the lights go out and they're going to sleep they go to back corner of the tank and sleep right by the sand and rub into the sand a bit staying down there. There's actually a small noticeable sink in the sand from them doing it, lol.

archangel91 is offline   Reply With Quote