Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2015, 01:05 PM   #1
cincyjim
Registered Member

Refugium with no light?

Is it possible to have a refugium without using a light? It wouldn't have chaeto or any macro algae in it, just some rock and pods. I was using a hang on the back refugium which had 3" of sand, rock, and chaeto. The chaeto died and I had a big outbreak of bad algae (I'm guessing because of the LED light I had on it). I ended up taking it down and it is soaking in vinegar now. I wanted a refugium for pods so I could get a Mandarin fish. Would the pods survive without a light or would I be wasting time? My DT is 75g and is 3 1/2 years old (Aug 2011).

cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Cheato would help the pods, but they will manage with rocks. THey do eat algae, as I understand it.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 03:37 PM   #3
cincyjim
Registered Member

Thanks Sk8r. My nitrates are 1.5 and my phosphates are 0 (Red Sea test kits). I can only think that the LED light I used was way too strong for the CPR Aquatic AquaFuge Refugium and fueled the algae. I believe the light fried chaeto that was in it. I'm not a quitter so I would like to try this again. I guess I could buy the light that was recommended for it and see how that goes.
Much appreciated!
Jim

Unread 02/28/2015, 03:45 PM   #4
xcdennisx
Registered Member

I would just go to lowes or home depot buy 5500k basement lights that are 100 watts. The cheato in my tank grows from a little bigger than a softball size to filling a 5 gallon bucket in 2-3 weeks. we have 2 100 watts lights over the refugium.

xcdennisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 04:44 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I run dual refugia on my tank. The first is a typical high-light macro fuge which acts as an observable consumer of nutrients and a (presumed) producer of pods. The second is a cryptic unlit fuge that acts as a (presumed) consumer of nutrients via DSB and an observable producer of pods. So, yes, you can certainly run a refugium without light depending upon what you want to keep in it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 05:36 PM   #6
cincyjim
Registered Member

Great! Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try it without the light at first and see how it goes. I just wasn't sure if you could or not.
Thanks!
Jim

Unread 03/01/2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Blue spot
Registered Member

Just a silly question , but what was you're light cycle before the outbreak

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 05:12 PM   #8
cincyjim
Registered Member

My DT comes on at 10:30am and goes off at 7:00pm. I had the fuge light come on at 9pm and off at 5am. I was using the Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System, 18-24", 6 white 6000k LED's (450 lumens) and it had moon lights that I never turned on. I converted the lumens to watts that the recommended light fixture used and come to find out I was basically twice the amount. I didn't do this research prior to setting this up the first time. I really never thought LED's were that powerful. Lesson learned the hard way once again!