Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2017, 12:20 AM   #1
spscrackhead
Registered Member

Converting from kalk to 2 part

I get the rest of my supplies to run 2 part on Friday and was looking for some suggestions on how much to dose.
The tank is a 175 with 30 gallons in sump. I currently mix 6 heaping tbsp of kalk into 11 gallons of ato. This top off lasts a bit less than a week. I would say I have to refill about 6 times a month.
I have 3 brs dosing pumps that will be hooked up to u apex. One for calc, one for alk, and one for mag. I would like to keep the Ph stable, so dose the alk at night. What would be good starting dose be? If anyone has good apex programs that would be great as well.
Thanks!

Unread 01/25/2017, 08:01 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Do you know the amount of evaporation per day? The 2-part is 45x more concentrated than Kalkwasser. If not, I'd measure and dose at least once a day for a while, to get a trend line. I think most tanks will be fine with daily dosing, at least for a few days. What corals do you have? Some are more touchy about alkalinity swings.

Unread 01/25/2017, 11:18 PM   #3
spscrackhead
Registered Member

The tank consists of about 10 zoa frags, and 5 sps mini colonies, 17 sps frags, 3 lps corals the frogspawn is decent size but bigger than a softball.

Unread 01/25/2017, 11:21 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd probably measure morning and evening, and dose as needed, at least for a day or two, to keep any possible alkalinity swing down. Some of the frags might be unhappy with a big downward drop. If you know the evaporation rate, you probably can get a reasonable close guess, but losing corals is painful.

Unread 01/27/2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Tarawa
Registered Member

when I converted from kalk to two-part, I used this calc: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...ntribution.php

It got the levels pretty close (slight rise in both Ca/Alk) which was fine for my tank. Tho like Bertoni pointed out, you'd still need to figure how much you're evaporating per day.

Tarawa is offline   Reply With Quote