Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2017, 07:06 PM   #1
atrain
Registered Member

Probiotic reef salt question

I am currently using at reef salt, and dose vodka. My phosphates and nitrates read 0. I was considering switching to probiotic salt, as a way to add amino acids and nutrients in a regular fashion with my weekly water changes to feed the corals.
Would it be too much with my current carbon dosing?
Would this be enough nutrients on its own?
I am trying to simplify and make dosing/feeding as regular as possible

atrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Anirban
Registered Member

If you are looking to run a ULNS system then probiotic salt will help but it will come with added bacteria too. So, you need to take care of that. In a ULNS feeding your fish is sufficient for corals and you can complement that with some biweekly or weekly addition of amino and vitamin if needed.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 03:14 AM   #3
s@ki
Registered Member

Hi, I have similar "problem".
I use reef salt and ProbioS, ProBioNP daily and BioS with water change. As tank is new (10/2017) there were some algae loving low nutrients and my NO3 and PO4 were undetectable with salifert but with Hanna fotometer I was able to measure 0,01 PO4.
As some of my corals were too much "neon" or bleached (purple stylopora is pink, cathalaphyilia had purplish "tentacles" and now they are white) I suspected nutrients were too low. After adding 6chromis and foxface to previos 2 bangai adn 2 ocelaris nutrients rised a bit (and foxface cleaned aglaes) so now I measure 0.5-1No3 and still undetectable PO4 (probably 0.01 with hanna, need to check).
What would be your suggestion for bringing back colours to corals?
I belive that feeding fish should be enough and that I'll simply add No3 and P04 if I buy some food like aminoacids or energy supplement. Wouldn't it be simplier (and in the end more cost effective) if I simply lower the filtration with reducing Phosphate minus or so? (currently using 2dcl on 400l tank)
It seems to me that people go in circle with lowering nutrients with chemicals and than raising them with "special" food for corals with end effect in needing more filtration to compete with added food Or I'm totally wrong ?

s@ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 06:41 AM   #4
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@ki View Post
Hi, I have similar "problem".
I use reef salt and ProbioS, ProBioNP daily and BioS with water change. As tank is new (10/2017) there were some algae loving low nutrients and my NO3 and PO4 were undetectable with salifert but with Hanna fotometer I was able to measure 0,01 PO4.
As some of my corals were too much "neon" or bleached (purple stylopora is pink, cathalaphyilia had purplish "tentacles" and now they are white) I suspected nutrients were too low. After adding 6chromis and foxface to previos 2 bangai adn 2 ocelaris nutrients rised a bit (and foxface cleaned aglaes) so now I measure 0.5-1No3 and still undetectable PO4 (probably 0.01 with hanna, need to check).
What would be your suggestion for bringing back colours to corals?
I belive that feeding fish should be enough and that I'll simply add No3 and P04 if I buy some food like aminoacids or energy supplement. Wouldn't it be simplier (and in the end more cost effective) if I simply lower the filtration with reducing Phosphate minus or so? (currently using 2dcl on 400l tank)
It seems to me that people go in circle with lowering nutrients with chemicals and than raising them with "special" food for corals with end effect in needing more filtration to compete with added food Or I'm totally wrong ?
In your case I would suggest just keep feeding your fish and increase the nutrient level. You can use half dose amino and vitamins for corals if they look too pale. It will take a bit time but the colours will come back. Lowering phosphate minus will increase the phosphate level which is not desired in your case.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote