Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Special K85
Registered Member

Setting up ro unit

How hard is it to setup a ro unit. I see where some say faucet connection provided so I can hook it up to my outside faucet? How long does it take to 15 gals? I would just hook it up as I needed water and any recommendations on which kinda to get or stay away from. Thanks

Special K85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:31 PM   #2
ajoe
Registered Member

Setting up the units are very easy. Most units i.e. Bulk Reef Supply send multiple adapters so you can connect to a bathroom/kitchen faucet, indoor/exterior hose faucet etc. The total number of gallons it will generate totally depends on your water pressure coming into the unit itself. Ideally you would want 60+ psi. You can get away with less but it will take longer to produce and is harder on the unit in the long run. Most all in one units have a PSI gauge built into them so you will know immediately what your pressure is. If it is on the week side you can purchase a booster pump also sold by BRS. A good investment and a must for most reef aquariums with city water. Just too many TDS in city water to have a healthy tank. Others will chime in hopefully.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:37 PM   #3
ajoe
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J4Jrw4ZbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTONjczeGGY

Unread 05/24/2018, 06:25 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its not a good idea to let the membrane dry out so you want to ensure that if you are hooking it up/removing it that you aren't letting the membrane dry out or allowing harmful bacteria to grow inside the system..
In general its better to keep it hooked up at all times..
Just get a "Y" for your outside faucet and leave it..

Unread 05/24/2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Special K85
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies didn’t think of drying the memebrane out would be bad thanks and the bacteria growing

Unread 05/24/2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Special K85
Registered Member

Are there any brands you guys prefer or ones I should stay away from

Unread 05/24/2018, 08:02 AM   #7
kevin21
Registered Member

So it is safe to leave the unit outside? I am thinking of doing this as well. Should I keep the unit hooked up, but in like a plastic container or something? Or just leave it exposed and hanging on the side of the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Its not a good idea to let the membrane dry out so you want to ensure that if you are hooking it up/removing it that you aren't letting the membrane dry out or allowing harmful bacteria to grow inside the system..
In general its better to keep it hooked up at all times..
Just get a "Y" for your outside faucet and leave it..

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 08:29 AM   #8
oldhead
Registered Member

Well you are in ny so keeping outside in the winter is a no no. Maybe get a Y connecter and hook it up where your washer is? That way you have a spot for the waste water too

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 12:27 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

No one "brand" of ro/di unit is better than another. It is all about the filters (carbon and sediment) and the micron size and the number of them you want. Also the GPD of the membrane, more GPD is more money. Don't bother wit 100 gpd is you only need 15.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Special K85
Registered Member

Thanks I was looking at the aquafx barracuda as the price isn't to bad or one from from BRS but they are a little more expensive

Unread 05/25/2018, 02:38 PM   #11
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
So it is safe to leave the unit outside? I am thinking of doing this as well. Should I keep the unit hooked up, but in like a plastic container or something? Or just leave it exposed and hanging on the side of the house?
I live in Miami, FL so freezing is not our biggest concern. I do have it outside connected to my garden hose. I use a Y that has individual valves for each side (about $4 at Home Depot) and close it when done so I can still use the garden hose.
I have it on the side of my house BUT inside a patio storage box like this one
https://bit.ly/2xgrEmk

I keep there all my other hoses and pumps for WC and mixing.

Leaving it exposed to the weather elements may reduce the live of the unit and they are not cheap.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 07:01 PM   #12
ajoe
Registered Member

I would be sure to keep it out of daylight (any light for that matter) or you will for sure develop green algae in the unit.

Unread 05/25/2018, 09:52 PM   #13
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

I had mine hooked up the the washing machine for years. Before that I had it under the bathroom sink. Now it's on the wall in the basement. You can hook it up anywhere there's a water connection and a drain. Bulk reef suppy sends multiple connections, I'd recommend their units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote