Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Jackchaos
Registered Member

new 34g reef nooob

just trying to get a list going of what else i may need.
ive got a 36g bow front possibly drop down to a 29g by the time i actually start.
two different light fixtures, coralife aqualite HO dual lamp t5s (24in,34in, any good?)
and a fluval 205 (any good?)
still need to grab power heads
other then basics LS, LR, ro water, what may i need?
skimmer (maybe?)
heater
do i need a sump and or refugarium?
ive honestly read so much i cant think anymore! words of advice and or list more of what i may possibly need. please and thank you!

Jackchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Zappo
Registered Member

Sounds like a good start. Skimmers and heaters IMO are optional while cycling, though the skimmer should leave you with less crud to get rid of via water changes when the cycle is done. Lighting is pretty flexible and if you're looking to keep a variety of corals then just get as much as you can and know that the less you have, the higher up light-loving corals will need to be placed in the tank.

Skimmers are always good to have after the cycle is done. Sumps and are nice too, especially in smaller tanks where the extra water volume can help to dilute pollutants. And refugiums are a good place to grow macro algae which can help to keep unwanted algae out of the display by competing for nutrients. But the sump and refugium are completely optional.

Oops, almost forgot. What have you got for water movement? Saltwater tanks need a lot of flow.

Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 04:13 AM   #3
Jackchaos
Registered Member

my LFS has koralia power heads on sale for like 40/50% off gonna pick up two i think.

Jackchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 07:37 AM   #4
crazylegs
Registered Member

Yes, get the koralia's. The more indirect flow, the better. Be carefull with that fluval. One of your goals should be to limit the amount of waste that can be processed by aerobic bacteria. Canister filters are extremely efficient at culturing these bacteria. Everything in your canister should be changed or cleaned every few days or you will have a nitrate factory. I say ditch the canister and get a skimmer. Skimmers are designed to remove organics before aerobic bacteria have a chance to break them down. What plans do you have for denitrification? A deep sand bed? Nitrate filter? Regular 25% water changes? When you can answer these questions, then you will likely be able to decide what equipment is best for you and your particular situation. I know that getting started can be daunting, but if you give thought to all of this and take your time, you will be much happier with the result. Keep asking questions on RC, this is one of the best resources available to you!

crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote