Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2012, 09:17 AM   #1
masonicman
Registered Member

Alkalinity driving me nutzz! What do I do next?

I've been fighting this alkalinity thing for a month now and I'm getting a little frustrated. Here's what's going on. I just test for alk, mag, and calcium ten minutes ago. After continuous testing over the past month, I know I need to dose for a 1dKH increase with in 24 hours in order to maintain a steady acceptable Alk parameter. For the past week my numbers have been the following. I'm using B-ionic two part and I want my Alk at an steady 10 dkh, so do I need to just add part 1 only for a few days which with increase my alk and allow the calcium to go down a little? I have not added any mag for about 3 weeks now.

Alk 8.45
Cal 460
Mag 1440

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef, 216w LED, Remora Pro skimmer, HOB fuge, 400w htr, ATO RO/DI, 90lbs LR and 1" SB.
masonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 09:24 AM   #2
jerpa
Registered Member

If you want to increase alk dose enough of part 1 to raise your alk 1.5dkh for three days. This will raise your alk .5dkh per day, after accounting for consumption, and should get you close to ten. I wouldn't raise it more than that per day to avoid stressing inhabitants.

As you raise your alk you can discontinue the calcium part for a few days if you would like it to fall. Once it has reached a level you like begin dosing the same amount as your daily alk dose.

Current Tank Info: 40b basement sump, 40b refugium, 30g frag
jerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 09:28 AM   #3
a.browning
Registered Member

If you're trying to bring alk up to 10, I'd dose it up to 10 with a couple doses of the alkalinity, perhaps spread out over a couple days just in case. If you just add one part for a few days, your alk will remain where it is and your calcium will drop, if you're adding it in the same amount as you usually are. If that makes sense! Yep, you're definitely good on mag, most tanks will never need mag dosed since most salt mixes seem to have crazy high mag levels.

Unread 10/16/2012, 11:44 AM   #4
masonicman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerpa View Post
If you want to increase alk dose enough of part 1 to raise your alk 1.5dkh for three days. This will raise your alk .5dkh per day, after accounting for consumption, and should get you close to ten. I wouldn't raise it more than that per day to avoid stressing inhabitants.

As you raise your alk you can discontinue the calcium part for a few days if you would like it to fall. Once it has reached a level you like begin dosing the same amount as your daily alk dose.

Cool thanks I will do this.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef, 216w LED, Remora Pro skimmer, HOB fuge, 400w htr, ATO RO/DI, 90lbs LR and 1" SB.
masonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 03:17 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that discontinuing the calcium part and adding more alkalinity is fine.