Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2014, 03:32 PM   #1
ajdiver
Registered Member

Neptune apex thoughts??????

Just ordered my apex full version. What's everyone's thoughts and opinions on the apex.......

Unread 07/13/2014, 03:58 PM   #2
planedoc
Registered Member

You are supposed to research things before you buy them, especially things that cost $500.
The apex is a great investment and worth every penny. Take away what you spend in timers for everything and than add In the extra benefits like double protection from a stuck heater cooking your tank or being alerted by text messages that any number of things has gone wrong and just the piece of mind you get makes its worth every penny. It's nice to be 1000 miles from you little ocean and know that everything is perfect.

planedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Bignose94015
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoc View Post
You are supposed to research things before you buy them, especially things that cost $500.
The apex is a great investment and worth every penny. Take away what you spend in timers for everything and than add In the extra benefits like double protection from a stuck heater cooking your tank or being alerted by text messages that any number of things has gone wrong and just the piece of mind you get makes its worth every penny. It's nice to be 1000 miles from you little ocean and know that everything is perfect.

Agreed. One of the best investments I have made.

Bignose94015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 04:29 PM   #4
ajdiver
Registered Member

My buddy has one and showed me how he can monitor everything from his phone. I was just on vacation for a week and had to depend on a friend to take care of my tank. Was nerve racking not knowing if everything was ok. So I figured the money would be worth the investment.

Unread 07/13/2014, 04:37 PM   #5
planedoc
Registered Member

If you already own timers and other controllers that takes away a lot of the money saving part. But timers especially ones that cycle often like for power heads fail and can cause fires. A solid state relay (6 of the 8 channels in a EB8) are much safer than a cheap 2 cent relay found in some timers. Just remember your vacation can be wrecked knowing you just lost your entire system when you could of just been happy as could be without receiving that very bad email.

planedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 05:30 PM   #6
mypepper
Registered Member

Even though I've been using the Digital Aquatics RKE for the past 6 six years with zero issues, the Neptune Apex is the Cadillac of the controller world. The Apex controller has all the bells and whistles and their wireless controllability is amazing to say the least.

Would I prefer the Apex controller maybe, but I'm going to wait for Digital Aquatics to lease their new wireless controller that is going to be cloud based.

DA is supposed to be making this announced at the up coming 2014 Macna in Denver next month, so I'm hoping for that, since I have so much invested with my RKE equipment.

Thanks and enjoy your new Apex Controller.
Randy

mypepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 07:09 PM   #7
ajdiver
Registered Member

I figured I'd spend the money on the apex considering I upgraded my LED'S already and would rather the apex instead of investing in some vortech wavemakers

Unread 07/13/2014, 09:45 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoc View Post
Largely agree, use one myself and wouldn't be without the convenience. BUT, it introduces the potential for 'single point of failure' so I'd not get lulled into a false sense of security .....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote