Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Jwheld
Registered Member

Alk swing

I had a couple sick coral. Frogspawn and a newer trumpet frag. I was testing alkalinity almost daily to see if I could notice anything. It started at 9.8 so I quit using Kalk in my ATO to try and target 9 or so.

What I have been noticing is that the alkalinity goes up and down. Yesterday it measured 8.7 and today 9.8. I'm not supplementing any Alk currently. What causes these swings? I'm using the red sea pro kit.

The frogspawn is happier and extending but the tissue on the trumpet is still receded. Haven't noticed it getting worse.

Thanks in advance!

Jwheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 08:02 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Changes like that sound like measurement problems to me. Alkalinity won't rise unless it's added to the water column in some way. Tap water used for topoff and artificial live rock can be stealth sources of alkalinity, as can pH buffers, which all add alkalinity.

Unread 02/02/2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Jwheld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Changes like that sound like measurement problems to me. Alkalinity won't rise unless it's added to the water column in some way. Tap water used for topoff and artificial live rock can be stealth sources of alkalinity, as can pH buffers, which all add alkalinity.
This surprises me too. I didn't think it should magically go up. I am using 0 TDS RODI. I will measure again, or have it tested.

Unread 02/02/2017, 10:14 PM   #4
juju187
Registered Member

Calcium, magnesium, strontium will increase Alk. Various supplements also contain hidden ca, mg etc which you may be dosing without realising. Chances are this or measurement error. Ph can vary conditional on c02 given a level of Kh. Kh may also fall due to precipitation.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

juju187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 10:48 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Metals won't cause the alkalinity to rise. Alkalinity in our tanks is mostly carbonate and bicarbonate ions, which contain no metal. I agree that additives might have some alkalinity in them, and alkalinity certainly can fall due to calcium carbonate precipitation.

Unread 02/03/2017, 12:43 AM   #6
bklynreefer
Registered Member

I suggest you lay off the testing/dosing. Give it 2 or 3 days to settle and test again then dose up to where you wanna be. Wait another 2 or 3 days and do the same.

Not all reefers are nerdy.
bklynreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 06:48 AM   #7
Jwheld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynreefer View Post
I suggest you lay off the testing/dosing. Give it 2 or 3 days to settle and test again then dose up to where you wanna be. Wait another 2 or 3 days and do the same.
Leaving town for the weekend, so that'll be perfect. I am guessing things will settle. I haven't noticed this in the past so we will see.

Unread 02/03/2017, 10:33 AM   #8
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Calcium, magnesium, strontium are metals and do not raise alkalinity. This is alkainity in seawater:

The main chemical species that contribute to alkalinity in seawater (and the reason it is useful to reefkeepers) are bicarbonate and carbonate (equations 1 and 2). The table below (from "Chemical Oceanography" by Frank Millero; 1996) shows the contribution to alkalinity from the major contributors in seawater at pH 8. If you start at higher pH, the relative contribution of bicarbonate will go down relative the others.

Chemical Species Relative Contribution To Alkalinity
HCO3- (bicarbonate) 89.8
CO3-- (carbonate) 6.7
B(OH)4- (borate) 2.9
SiO(OH)3- (silicate) 0.2
MgOH+ (magnesium monohydroxylate) 0.1
OH- (hydroxide) 0.1
HPO4-- and PO4--- (phosphate) 0.1
Other species can also contribute measurably to alkalinity in seawater in certain situations, such as anoxic regions. These would include NH4+ and HS- .

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote