Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Turf Plumber
Registered Member

First time reef build

Hello all, i'm new to the reef hobby. I am about ready to cycle my tank and thought it might be a good idea to get a few experienced opinions to make sure i didn't make any silly mistakes before i turn the key. I plan to eventually house some LPS but i'm not really interested in SPS at this point. Will probably start FOWLR

anyway here are the specs:
75G display, about 20" deep
Current 48" LED- i know its not the brightest but i suppose can always add more actinic in the future if i need to. can't afford the hydra.
1200gph box overflow and ~700gph return
20G sump- no substrate
Octopus 110 skimmer
10G separate refugium, will run @150gph
was hoping the slow flow through the refugium would be ideal for my attempt at culturing copepods. i will welcome suggestions as to what exactly to use in the refugium. Substrate, (LR vs those magic blocks of nonsense or whatever, etc.) It has a drilled overflow and will be nearly full of water.
I was going to stuff the first chamber of the sump with polyfil unless someone has a better idea. Also, the owner of my LFS swears by these bags called chemi-pure i think. I wasn't going to add any chemical filtration unless i need it or someone here says i should start with some.

please don't make fun of my stand. i built it when i was about 18- my engineering was pretty good but my wood finishing skills... have been improved upon since then.

thanks in advance for your advice!

Turf Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 04:33 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

To Reef Central

I'm not sure what polyfil is, but the sumps should be fine without any filtration. Chemi-Pure comes in at least two versions. One contains a good grade of activated carbon and some resins that probably don't work. The Elite product contains some GFO, in addition. GFO and carbon are fine to run, although not necessary. I'd probably get a small media reactor and run some activated carbon as a start, just as a safety net. The carbon would be added after the cycle completes, as the initial decay process can be very dirty.

Unread 05/28/2018, 07:50 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Plumber View Post
....attempt at culturing copepods. i will welcome suggestions as to what exactly to use in the refugium.
You can use chaeto and / or gracilaria parvispora for your pods to play in
Substrate, (LR vs those magic blocks of nonsense or whatever, etc.)
I would add some rock for added filtration.
I was going to stuff the first chamber of the sump with polyfil unless someone has a better idea.
I would add some rock if anything here too
Also, the owner of my LFS swears by these bags called chemi-pure i think.
I wasn't going to add any chemical filtration unless i need it or someone here says i should start with some.
He makes money off the stuff. Its not needed unless you have a problem. Activated carbon should be the only thing you might think about running for a while.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote